Friday, February 23, 2007

Sometimes, it's hard to describe this place

One of the best parts of this experience has been learning some pretty simple conversational Xhosa, enough to say "Hello, How are you... I'm well... Thank You" and I pick up a few other phrases here and there. Mike and I always try to speak it whenever we can. By now, arriving to work in the morning, it's pretty standard that I start the day greeting everyone in Xhosa.

But absolutely, the best looks that we get are the ones in the markets or the restaurants in Bizana Town, when we get to the cashier or talk to a waitress... and greet them in Xhosa. It's often a stunned smile, but an appreciation as well, that we are learning their language and culture, trying to fit in as best as we can. It seems like it's always the same scenario... people are always pleased (and maybe a bit impressed) that we try to converse a little bit with them in Xhosa, then they take it to the next level and keep speaking, and we'll have a blank stare on our faces... and tell them "I don't know THAT much Xhosa," followed by quick conversation in English, then an "Enkosi!" (Thank You!) as we walk away.

We obviously stand out in this community when we are out and about, so I think people have started to recognize us coming from the Municipality building as when we walk down the street. And often people stop us and want to chat or find out where we are from, what we are doing here. It's funny how quickly you become immune to your surroundings and just become a part of it. It's probably not always the safest walk, because a lot of people do stare us down. And with always a lot of commotion in the streets, people walking aimlessly or drunk, cars all over the place, the hawkers trying to sell things from their stands, cattle walking through the streets or stray dogs, music blaring from store fronts or the random person with a microphone and amp with a crowd surrounding speaking on whatever he or she feels like, etc. You just always have to look out for yourself. But it doesn't even phase me anymore. This is the community where I work and this is where I've adjusted to being. And yes, I have pictures and will probably take a video on my camera, walking down the street, before I leave. But sometimes I'll look at my teammates and we just shake our heads and laugh and say, "You really just can't describe this place. You just have to see it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Video of you on the street would be wicked good.