Thursday, March 15, 2007

Food options

We went to one of our favorite spots last night for dinner - Del Monte in Ramsgate. Just a little Italian spot, pizzeria. Last night was our 5th time going there because I've gotten something different on the menu each time - tried 3 of the specialty pizzas and one time had the lasagna. Everything has been delicious each time, and last night I went already knowing what to order. One particular pizza had caught my eye before called "Banana Beach," which is a bacon and banana pizza. I never tried it... but I like bacon, I like banana... why not give it a shot? So last time I asked the waitress what she thought of it and I think her exact quote was "I know, it sounds really strange, but actually it's quite delightful." I mean, it was "delightful," it had to be good, right?. And it actually was pretty good - call me crazy. I might not rush to order it again, but definitely not the worst pizza I've ever had.

I've had some amazing curries here too - lamb, beef, chicken. There is a pretty large Indian influence in Durban, so a lot of the restaurants down the South Coast (in KZN, south of Durban) seem to each have curries on the menu. Definitely hearty portions as well - some of my favorites include the ones at The Estuary (where I live) as well as at the Peg in Port Edward, and even the "bunny chow" in a bread bowl at Reflections in Port Edward was pretty decent. Just 2 of the local spots we go to (there aren't too many!). When you get curry here, you usually get a dish of sauces, raisins, bananas (yet again), sometimes coconut... all a bunch of stuff to mix into the curry.

Calamari here is excellent too - and fresh! I have no idea a percentage, but from what I understand, a lot of the world's calamari comes from this region.

My eating options in Bizana, on the flip side, are a bit limited. Most days I bring a lunch (PBJ, few chips, piece of fruit). There is one restaurant called All Seasons that we go to occasionally that makes just a few things - cheese and tomato sandwich, chicken or mutton with rice/beans, veggies. We feel comfortable enough to eat there, the regard of health/cleanliness is pretty much up to par, and we always get a big smile and welcome from the wait staff. The food is quite delicious too. The sign that reads "Chicken is Freshly Slaughtered - Hope You Enjoy" might be a bit discerning, but you get past this stuff very quickly. Oh, and there's the woman who comes around each day selling maize for a few Rand. And in seemingly every city or town here in South Africa, there is also a KFC - but I don't even like it at home, and haven't gone to the one in Bizana either.

I had no idea what my food situation or options were going to be like when I came here. And for the most part, in and around where I live, I've eaten really well (and meals are so cheap!!). Different cuisines, a lot of great seafood, some great seasoned meats on the braii, traditional African meals - a whole mix. Even groceries are a fraction of what they are at home - and I'd say about half the time we cook or braai ourselves, and the rest of the time we eat out. On the whole, I've had no complaints, then again, it takes a lot to get me to complain about food...

No comments: